Friday, August 19, 2011

I love to see the temple?

Wow. I think it is safe to say, I am at a loss of words. I honestly can't begin to describe what I experienced today. I don't know how to even put my emotions into words. How about I just share the entire experience with you? Yes? Bare with me.

Oh wait. Before I begin. I have to tell you about my sister Madie. She has migranes. And by migranes, I don't mean just the usual headache. She has had them for a while, and they usually start with her seeing sparkles and one side of her face going numb. Then within 10 minutes, she is throwing up and sicker than a dog.


Now on to my experience.

Thursday night around 5, I got a text from a sister in the ward. "Ward temple night tonight at 6:30! Treats at the Bishops house after! If you need a ride let me know." [dont you hate it when....] you know deep down what you should do but you dont WANT to do it? Well, I Immidiately I knew I should be going with my ward to the temple. Unfortunately, after a lot of thinking and debating, I decided not to go.

Fast forward to 7 o'clock that night. A huge amount of guilt starts to set it. I feel horrible that I couldn't take an hour or two of my time to go to the temple with my ward. "Madie! Brin! Lets go to the temple!" For Brin it ws a school night. But Madie! Madie had 2 friends over, and the three of them together, without hesitation already start planning what skirts they are going to wear! They think it sounds fun and we plan it all out. Hold up. 2 minutes later, Madie comes down in her dress saying that she is seeing sparkles and starting to feel numb on one side.

Do we take her with us and risk her getting sick? Or do we hold off until the next day? After all, I REALLY need to go. I can feel it. And they REALLY want to. But what do we do? Ya know, God likes to test how far we are willing to go for him. Right? We decide to hold off until the next day.

The next day comes and we are all packed up and ready to go. Due to over heating issues, I decide to put a little bit of cold water into my engine so we can get to the temple on time without any problems. We leave around 3 with the hopes of getting home by 6 and we are pretty sure its all going to work ou.. But again, God likes to test how far and how much we are willing to do for him. Just past McDonalds in springville, my car starts to over heat. Its horrible! The worst smell ever, the scarriest feeling ever, and the most embarrassing thing ever.

We pull off, it cools down and we carry on. We are almost to provo.

Not bad right? Wrong. Next? SMOKE. My car starts SMOKING in the MIDDLE of the freakin road. In a panic, I hit the break turn into some BYU parking lot, slam it into park and we all BAIL out. (At this point, I was feeling like a driver of a car full of people trying to get across the border.. While Madie is screaming "Its gonna BLOW UP!!!" I think to myself.. Lets just go home. This is so not worth it.) I walk around the other side of the car to Three smiling girls that tend to think what just happened was pretty funny, and only added to the experience. "Lets let it cool and keep going." They all three start hinting.

Now is where I sadly, have to admit.. That if it were just me in my car that day, this post would be over. I would have simply given up. Drove home. And most likely been mad the rest of the night. BUT, I had three amazing girls in the car with me, and going home was NOT an option.

We sat. And sat. And did some more sitting, when what do you know?? My car is cooled down! "Maybe you should open the hood and put mor water in Shay." Madie tells me as a ignore her and start to pull out of the parking lot. (Im horrible)

Nevertheless... we start driving. We can SEE the temple. We are less than a block away! And... my car shuts off. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION. With four girls, IN skirts, ages 19 down to 13.. we are at a loss of what to do. Madie again tells me to pop the hood and check the water. But being my stubborn self I thought "I JUST filled it before we left." Within 2 seconds of my car dying, three very buff guys come walking out of an apartment and offer to push us to the side of the road. I gladly accept their offer, and next thing I know another car is pulled over asking if we need anything. I realized that there really wasn't much anyone could do. I decide to take Madie's advice and pop the hood, only to find out I am the DUMBEST person alive. After filling the water at my house before I left, I forgot to put the dumb cap back on. The water tank= COMPLETELY dry. After calling my dad and asking him to bring me water, and sitting in the heat for 30 or so minutes, A few other people offer their assistance. At one point a VERY fine looking gentleman, (I will add here that he had a name tag on because he was on his way to a class) named Chase Butler offered to pour his two water bottles into the water tank to help cool it down. He leaves and an older couple from across the street offer us their hose.

By this time, it has been 2 hours. TWO WHOLE HOURS and we are a BLOCK away from the temple. Its 5PM and we are hot a sweaty. My parent show up and help get my car cooled and running. And I tell the girls we should just go home. Nope. Not happening. They convince me that this whole experience would have no point if we decided to turn around and go home. I realized they were right and that we really have an even bigger reason to go. And ya know what? We got there at 5:15 and we were there a whole 30 minutes! I have never been to the Temple and made it through in 30 minutes! Not a soul was there. (Except for when we were leaving, a group of 20+ showed up) It was amazing. Best experience and worst experience of my life ever.

I am so grateful for the 3 innocent, fun girls I had with me. I am grateful for the tests we have on this earth that only help us to become better and push us to go farther. If you made it to the end of this post, congratulations! :) Its a long one.

Lessons Learned

1. Going with my ward would have been a LOT easier.
2. God knows what he is doing.
3. Amazing people REALLY do walk among us.
4. My parents are awesome, along with the girls I was with.
5. I will always keep two gallons of water and anifreeze in my trunk!

Thanks for reading. :)

No comments: