Friday, July 24, 2015

Lesson from Dog: Congrats, there's something wrong with you.


I've never been able to sleep in. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been able to sleep soundly past 9AM. So, this morning..even though I went to bed at midnight, it was no surprise when I was completely awake even though my phone only read 6:52AM. 

[I should note that the fact that my beautiful Aliza is moving across the country today, has nothing to do with me not being able to sleep. :( Al- I love you and I will miss you so so so much aL.]
(Ignore the tears.. saying goodbye at the airport)

Now that you know about my poor sleeping habits, I will get on with what this post is actually about. 
I headed to my parents house this morning at 8am. 
Because of the time of day, everyone was either asleep or gone at work. In fact, the only person awake when I walked in the door was my dog, Rambo. I knew this immediately, because the minute he heard the door open, his usual thump off of the bed and onto the floor was heard. 
Rambo met me at the top of the stairs. He didn't mind that it was 8 am. He didn't care that I didn't come bearing treats or that my hair looked gross and that I had nothing to offer him. He just stood there with his tail wagging, happy to see me. 
We laid on the floor in the sunshine for a good hour. 


It may (or may not be) be a shock, but I am a deep thinker.

I over analyze, over think, and over contemplate EVERYTHING. A lot of my thoughts go towards criticizing myself. 

I have SO many insecurities. flaws. issues. 

I am always worried about whether or not people like me. 

What people think of me. 
I am always focusing on the broken parts of me and I spend way too much time telling myself that I need to fix this or change that.
I want to be happy.
I want to be more kind.
I want to be a better listener.
I want to be confident.
I want to be a likeable person.
I want to be adventurous.
I want to be skinny. in shape.
I want to be brave. 
I want to be able to do pull-ups.
I want to be close to God.
I want to be a good friend.
I want to be proud of myself.
So the very simple gesture that my dog was so completely happy to see me just the way I am got me thinking... 


My dog will lick himself, no matter who's watching. 

My dog spends a lot of his time sleeping. 


He doesn't care if people think he's lazy. He enjoys his sleep so.. he sleeps. 


My dog likes to (attempt to) hump his toys. Ready or not, he will show his skills even though they are very subpar. 

My dog {thinks he] buries his bones, treats, toys- pretty much everything.. on the carpet. And if he doesn't like where he has recently buried something, he picks it up and buries its somewhere else. He doesn't care that we laugh at him and make fun of him.

My dog is a good running buddy. But he picks the most inconvenient times to poop when I take him. 


He doesn't pay attention to who's lawn he is on, what cars are driving by, or what people are around. He is just over joyed to be outside.

My dog will lick you and cuddle you. He doesn't mind if you are covered in sweat, or if you've been crying. He doesn't care what color your skin is, or if you're skinny or even if you're a girl or boy. If you're sick, or sad he will be by your side. He will kiss you and love you no matter who you are.

My dog has seizures, eats veggies, doesn't bark at the door or people. He shows no interest in other dogs and doesn't realize that although he feels like a badass- he only weighs 13 pounds. 

He is not a "normal" dog.
And you know what? He doesn't know it and he doesn't care. My dog is himself.He loves everyone. He is happy. He is care free. He doesn't let anything stop him. He tries new things. He gives second chances.He live's in the moment.He's a good listener.  
 
More importantly, I wouldn't change ONE thing about my "un" normal dog. I love him exactly the way he is! So why can't I apply that to myself as well? 

My dog teaches me lessons on a daily basis, but the biggest thing he has taught me?
That there's something wrong with me. 


There's something wrong with everyone. 
And in all reality, there is nothing wrong with any of us!

I'm playing the game of life..the best I know how to for myself and you should too. 
There’s no such thing as "the way you should be."

You will never become someone, because you ARE someone, right now.
Next time you feel like garbage.. Take notes from your dog, you might be surprised at how much you can learn from an animal that can't talk at all, but knows how to truly love you when you don't love yourself. 



No comments: